Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Refuge

Studying Psalm 71 this afternoon for the Elim Chapel message tomorrow. Scattered thoughts from the passage:

* God is our refuge. The truth here is not that He provides us a place to hide, to be renewed - rather, that He Himself is that refuge.

* He is our refuge from birth. Our children have gotten it right - they come out trusting - only learning mistrust as they grow older.

* God's refuge does not mean we will not experience trouble - "Though you have made me see troubles, many and bitter" - rather, that we have someone/where to go when we do. The psalmist admitted that God had a role in his troubles, but also knew that God's role would include refuge and restoration.

* God's refuge is for the young and the old: "From birth I have relied on you; you brought me forth from my mother's womb"; and "Even when I am old and gray, do not forsake me, O God...."

* Just a personal thought. How tempting it is to trust in other refuges! Investments, insurance, government, family relationships, friendships, career development/job security, our own abilities and/or wisdom....all will, at one point or another, fail. He won't.

Blessings!

No comments: