Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Confession

* "If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness." I John 1:9

* "When anyone is guilty in any of these ways, he must confess in what way he has sinned." Leviticus 5:5

* "They stood where they were and read from the Book of the Law of the Lord their God for a quarter of the day, and spent another quarter in confession and in worshipping the Lord their God." Nehemiah 9:3

* "Then I acknowledged my sin to you and did not cover up my iniquity. I said, "I will confess my transgressions to the Lord" - and you forgave the guilt of my sin." Psalm 32:5

* "To some who were confident of their own righteousness and looked down on everybody else, Jesus told this parable: "Two men went up to the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector. The Pharisee stood up and prayed about himself: 'God, I thank you that I am not like other men—robbers, evildoers, adulterers—or even like this tax collector. I fast twice a week and give a tenth of all I get.'
"But the tax collector stood at a distance. He would not even look up to heaven, but beat his breast and said, 'God, have mercy on me, a sinner.'
"I tell you that this man, rather than the other, went home justified before God. For everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, and he who humbles himself will be exalted." Luke 18:9-14

Christians (unfortunately) sin. God has provided relational forgiveness through confession to Him. Yet we so often neglect this, presuming that He will hear and answer our prayers anyway - that He will draw near us in intimate relationship. Or we offer a general confession that doesn't address the real issues.

Think how well this approach would work in our close earthly relationships. No apology, no intimacy.

The tax collector encourages me. He was a real sinner with real guilt & real shame - and received real forgiveness.

Let me encourage you - confess your sins to the Lord - experience His forgiveness, His renewing of your spirit, His intimacy with you.

See you Sunday!

No comments: