Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Speaking Into Our Lives

Have you ever had anyone speak into your life?

At 16 a visitor to our church thanked me for holding the door open for his family by saying, "It's better to be a doorman at the house of the Lord than to dwell in the tents of iniquity", a quote from the psalms. This statement stuck with me, teaching me the importance of serving in even the smallest ways.

In my 20s' someone compared me to Mr. Spock (highly controlled, nearly emotionless alien from original Star Trek series) - this personal image wrongly stuck with me into my 30's.

In my late 30's I fell away from the Lord and His ministry through pride, but two pastors from Door Creek Church in Madison, WI spoke into my life, assuring me that He would use me again - and so He has.

I have a plaque in my office from the staff and elders of the this church - each wrote words of specific encouragement - this still speaks to me.

Isn't this what the Lord does in our lives? He looks at us and the messes we've made, then calls us His chosen children - saints - beloved (and numerous other strong names) - He promises us that He will never cease working in our lives - He tells us He will never leave us - and, somehow, we change and grow, becoming what He has spoken.

So, have others spoken into your life? Have you heard His voice speaking into you?

No comments: