Next Monday I will be 50. I've encouraged the congregation to take time to examine their lives, perhaps this would be a good opportunity to personally do so:
* I'm probably 2/3 done with my time here on earth (Schirmacher males tend to pass by 75). Psalm 90 tells us to number our days, and I need to use those that remain well, for Him. There have been plenty of wasted days in the past, these need to be minimized in my future.
* 50 is not 25, or 30. I have some physical limitations, and more are coming. It will be interesting to mix passion/drive and realistic expectations.
* 50 could be the end. There is no guarantee of another day. I spent part of yesterday with a 56 year old who is probably terminal (unless God heals him), and there is much to learn from his acceptance of his situation before the Lord.
* 50 is a blessing. I'm more settled with myself, with my strengths and weaknesses, with what God does through me, then probably at any other time of my life. Praise Him for His peace, His faithful care over all these years.
* Lord willing, I have 15-20 more years of ministry in front of me - and I dare not blow it through stupid sin or a midlife crisis. Studies show that middle-aged men in ministry are very vulnerable to temptation, and I need to be careful - by His strength and Spirit filling.
* 50 will be OK, because God is already there before me.